Basic Help

How to register a death

When someone dies there is often much to do and very little help to guide you in the right direction. We hope our step-by-step list helps

If the person dies at home or in a nursing  home, usually a doctor will have certified death
The family need the Medical Certificate of Death, which the Doctor may leave with you or can be collected from the surgery. You will need this to register the death.
Next you need to make an appointment at the registrars, in the town where the death occurred
If you have the Medical Card and the Birth Certificate of the person who has died this will help the registrar, but is not essential if you cannot find it. If the person dies in hospital or a hospice the Medical Certificate of Death can be collected from there and taken to the registrars

Once you have registered the death, the registrar will issue you 

- A Registrars Certificate for Burial/Cremation (green form) to be given to the Funeral Director  
- A form for the Department of Works & Pensions (white form to cancel any pensions or benefits) 
- A copy of the Death Certificate (there is a charge for any copies you may require)



If  the death was unexpected the coroner will become involved. This procedure does not necessarily delay the funeral although the death cannot be registered until the coroner has released the paper work to the registrars. Then everything can proceed as normal


Arranging the funeral

The funeral arrangements can be made at any time either before or after registration
We can come to your home to make the arrangements or, if you prefer, you can call here where you will be received by our friendly staff in the peaceful and tranquil setting of Broadoak



If your family own a grave this can be reopened with permission from the grave owner, if there is space in that grave (we would also require the grave deed).
If a new grave is required we will advise you of the availability and cost of a new grave in the cemetery of your choice.
In addition to traditional Cemeteries there is also The Woodland Cemetery at Ellenbrook, Worsley



If your loved one is to be cremated, two doctor’s forms need to be completed, we can arrange this. The choices for Crematoria in this area are -
Agecroft (Salford)  “Peel Green (Eccles)“  Howe Bridge (Atherton)  “Overdale (Bolton)“  East Lancs (Radcliffe)



Once the arrangements have been made a written estimate of costs will be discussed with the family, which will be fully explained.
This estimate will then be signed by yourself and given to you along with written confirmation of all dates, times and funeral details once the times have been confirmed with us (we also offer inflation-proof prepaid funeral service, details on request).
If there is anything you wish to ask we will be only too pleased to help


Useful telephone numbers

Broadoak Independent Funeral Service

354 Worsley Road

Tel - 0161 794 7499


Probate Office

0161 837 6070


Salford - 0161 793 2500 

Wigan & Leigh - 01942 705 000

Manchester - 0161 234 7878

Bolton - 01204 331 185

HM Coroners Office

Salford, Bolton & Wigan - 01204 338 799

Manchester - 0161 830 4222


GMP Police & Chester House - 0161 872 5050


Hope Bereavement Service - 0161 206 5174

St Anns Hospice (Little Hulton) - 0161 702 8181

Royal Bolton (Patient Service) - 01204 390 807

Social Services

Job Centre Plus - 0161 837 1000“ (Funeral grants and social funding)

Widow/Widower payments - 0161 837 1088