Help Section

Broadoak Independent Funeral Service

How to register a death

When someone dies there is often much to do and very little help to guide you in the right direction. We hope our step-by-step list helps:

  • If the person dies at home or in a nursing home, usually a doctor will have certified death
  • The family need the Medical Certificate of Death, which the Doctor may leave with you or can be collected from the surgery. You will need this to register the death.
  • If the person died in hospital or a hospice the Medical Certificate of Death can be collected from there and taken to the registrars.
  • Next you need to make an appointment at the registrars, in the town where the death occurred
  • If you have the Medical Card and the Birth Certificate of the person who has died this will help the registrar, but is not essential if you cannot find it. You’ll be asked to give the following information to the registrars to register the death:
  • The persons name at the time of death
  • Any previous surnames they have held, including maiden name
  • Their date and place of birth
  • Their most recent address
  • Their most recent occupation
  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving spouse or civil partner If they were in receipt of any state pension or benefits


If the death was unexpected and there is no valid statement of intent for the person who has passed away the coroner may become involved. This can involve the opening of an inquest into the death. When this occurs the coroners liaison will guide you through the process. This procedure does not necessarily delay the funeral although the death cannot be registered until the coroner has released the paper work to the registrars. Then everything can proceed as normal.

Department for Work & Pensions

The Department for Work & Pensions can offer financial help to those arranging a funeral who are on a low income and would otherwise struggle to pay for the cost of a funeral.

To qualify for help from the DWP either you or your partner need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related
  • Employment and
  • Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element Child
  • Tax Credit
  • Support for Mortgage
  • Interest

If you would like to talk to someone to see if you qualify for help from the DWP you can contact Jobcentre Plus and
they will be able to guide you through the process.
You can find a link to the DWP claim form below and on our links page. It does not need to be the applicant that fills out the form so if you need any help filling this out you can contact Jobcentre Plus or ourselves at Broadoak Funeral Service and we will be able to assist you in filing it out, however it has to be the applicant which signs the claim form.

• DWP Claim Form

Once the claim has been approved the payment will be sent directly to Broadoak Funeral Service.

Useful telephone numbers

Broadoak Independent Funeral Service
354 Worsley Road Swinton Manchester

Tel – 0161 794 7499

Probate Office
0161 837 6070

Salford – 0161 793 2500
Wigan & Leigh – 01942 489 003
Manchester – 0161 234 5005
Bolton – 01204 331 185

HM Coroners Office
Salford, Bolton & Wigan – 01204 338 799
Manchester – 0161 219 2222

GMP Police & Chester House – 0161 872 5050

Hope Bereavement Service – 0161 206 5175
St Anns Hospice (Little Hulton) – 0161 702 8181
Royal Bolton (Patient Service) – 01204 390 807

Social Services
Job Centre Plus – 0161 837 1000“ (Funeral grants and social funding) Widow/Widower payments – 0161 837 1088